Frequently Asked Questions You May Have After Being Injured In A Hit-And-Run Accident

Posted on: 22 June 2016


If you are injured in a car accident in which another party is at fault, you are able to file a personal injury claim against the other party and their insurance company to recoup any money you are out. This includes medical expenses, lost wages and even pain and suffering. But, if you are involved in a hit-and-run accident, you may have many questions about what your rights are to recoup money in that situation. Here are a few frequently asked questions you may have after being injured in a hit-and-run accident.

How Do You Recoup Money for Your Expenses If You Cannot Identify the Other Driver?

If you are involved in a hit-and-run accident that has left you injured and with medical bills, you may be wondering how you can recoup money for those expenses. If you have uninsured motorist protection, you can file a claim with your own insurance policy and receive money for those bills. Additionally, in some states you may be able to purchase personal injury protection, or PIP, coverage. This type of insurance coverage is designed to be used in these types of cases. Unfortunately, if you do not have uninsured motorists or personal injury protection injury, and you can't locate the other driver, you will need to pay the medical bills on your own.

Can an Attorney Help With a Hit-and-Run Case When the Other Driver Has Not Been Identified Yet?

Following a hit-and-run accident that has left you injured, you may be wondering if you can hire a personal injury attorney to help you with the car accident. The answer to this question is yes, you can. And it may be beneficial to you to do so. A personal injury attorney who has experience with hit-and-run accidents may be able to help you locate the driver of the vehicle that caused the accident. They can look for witnesses, subpoena surveillance video and even use private investigators to track down the owner of the car that hit you, all while you focus on your recovery. After the accident, be sure to get contact information from any witnesses who may have seen the accident. Also, make a police report. Get an attorney as quickly as possible so they have the chance to talk to the witnesses and find the car before any body damage to the car can be repaired.

Can a Personal Injury Claim Be Filed If Criminal Charges Are Pending For the Driver?

If you, your attorney or the police have located the driver who caused your car accident, they may be charged with hit-and-run charges. If this happens, you may wonder if you are still able to file a personal injury claim and recover money for your injuries. It is important to note that you can indeed file a personal injury claim regardless of any criminal charges. However, your personal injury case may be delayed until the criminal trial is over with. This is because anything the driver says in regards to your case can be used against them in the criminal case. As such, it can be hard getting them to participate in a deposition until the criminal case has been decided. Additionally, if the driver is found guilty in a criminal trial, it can greatly help your personal injury case.

You may have many questions after you have been left injured in a car accident caused by a driver who fled the scene. Getting answers to the questions you have will help you to better understand the events that will need to take place after the accident and how they can affect a personal injury claim. For help with your case, contact a law office like the Law Office of Daniel E Goodman, LLC.